EXPERIENCING DEMENTIA – 1 DAY TRAINING COURSE
This one day training course is aimed at people who want to gain a deeper knowledge and insight into the experience of a person living with dementia.
'Experiencing Dementia’ reflects the provisions, principles and vision set out in:
· The Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014
· Cardiff and Vale Draft Dementia Strategy (2017-2027)
· Good Work – A Dementia Learning and Development Framework for Wales (Social Care Wales, NHS Wales, Public Health Wales, Welsh Government, 2016)
· Together for a Dementia Friendly Wales (Welsh Government, Draft Strategy, 2017-22)
Experiencing Dementia – 1 day course will:
· guide trainees through a series of experiential exercises which provide a unique insight into dementia
· invite trainees to engage with the emotional and psychological experience of dementia, exploring the questions "What if it was me living with dementia, how would I feel, what would I need?"
· develop compassionate perspectives and a greater understanding between staff, people living with dementia and family members
· increase knowledge and understanding about dementia
· remove the myths and stigma surrounding dementia
· share knowledge about behaviour that can be ‘seen’ as challenging
· provide a space for trainees to share practice and reflect on experiences
Time: 9.30am – 4.30pm (full day for up to 20 trainees)
“This is an excellent course, well structured and held. Great learning through experience and no powerpoint! Inspirational and informative with very helpful ideas to take away with me” Care worker, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire (2017)
"This is an excellent course. It really made me stop, think and evaluate my feelings. The whole day was well thought out and planned. I will take away an increased understanding of the very personal nature of dementia and I know my practice will change because of that. Thank you” Care Worker, Cardiff
“A very powerful approach to gaining an understanding on how it could feel to have dementia. I enjoyed the interaction exercises, more memorable than a course based purely on information” Registered Residential Care Home Manager, Swansea
Aimed at: Frontline staff in public services, hospital staff, care managers, care practitioners, medical practitioners, researchers, volunteers, carers and artists.
Re-Live can deliver this course in house or at our base at Chapter, Cardiff.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Karin Diamond from Re-Live:
Karin Diamond (Re-Live Training)
E: Karin@re-live.org.uk T: 07900 000125